Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

One Step Closer!

About the packing thing…I think I may have it licked! I went through my clothes tonight and made some decisions as to what I would actually take with me. I ironed a few shirts, got everything folded, picked out the suitcase I’ll use, and gathered most of the incidentals like toiletries, sunscreen, and insect repellent. Now, if I can just fit everything in the suitcase! I really should put everything in my suitcase, and have my wife put a lock on it so that I can’t change my mind about anything inside! Usually if I plan this far ahead, I tend to second-guess and question myself, and that leads to something stupid like, “Maybe I should take khakis instead of jeans.” OK, I’m going to stop right there. I will not change my mind. I will not change my mind. I will not change my mind!

I transferred my camera, batteries and charger, and SD cards over to my new camera hip bag. I pulled out my travel backpack that will neatly fit either into the overhead compartments or under the seat. I tracked down the neoprene sleeve that works best with my laptop, and makes passing everything through security at the airport a lot easier. I went through my dop kit and took out all unnecessary items and added a few small things that are needed. It’s finally starting to sink in that we actually leave in two days for Ethiopia!

The final GCP pre-travel meeting was this past Sunday afternoon and when we broke out into our separate groups, our team had the chance to ask questions and discuss things we may have been wondering or worrying about. I felt a great sense of relief throughout the group as we said our goodbyes and left that meeting! Off I went to the store to pick up a waterproof rain jacket and a travel umbrella to ward off the possible early spring rains, something I hadn’t, until this meeting, even thought about.  Quite coincidentally, I ran into two of my travel mates in the store picking up last-minute items too!

We have been given our itinerary for the trip. It includes a trip to the Rift Valley, and the museum there that contains the remains of “Lucy,” the first-known upright-walking homo sapiens, first discovered in 1974; a day-long excursion out to the mouth of the Blue Nile and the Nile River Gorge; visits to the university, the hospital, and one of the embassies; and a trek though the ‘Mecato,’  one of the largest open-air markets in the world. There are also some flexible times built into our schedule for both rest and unplanned activities.  I think it’s safe to say that the whole group is pretty excited about all the possibilities!

Next on my list….and boy, do I have a list…do some quick research on jet lag (we have an 18-hour flight) and altitude sickness (the city of Addis Ababa is situated in an extinct volcano at about 8000 feet). Wish me luck!
(Photo above by Cathy Kuehner, Shenandoah University)

No comments:

Post a Comment